Watch the June 2016 Winning TV Spec Screenplay.
BROOKLYN NINE NINE by Linsen Oyosa
Genre: Sitcom, Comedy, Crime
Synopsis: Jake and Charles try to take down a drug dealer. Meanwhile, Terry deals with inter-precinct theft and Holt helps Rosa deal with her recent politeness.
NARRATOR – Val Cole
JAKE – Christopher Huron
ROSA – Tracey Beltrano
CHARLES – Jeff Sinasic
TERRY – Deney Forrest
HOLT – John Lester Phillips
GINA – Laura Darby
AMY – Hannah Brenen
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your screenplay based on the TV show “Brooklyn 99” about?
Jake and Charles try to take down a drug dealer. Meanwhile, in the precinct, Terry must find out who stole his yogurt and Holt helps Rosa deal with her recent politeness.
2. How does this episode fit into the context of the television show?
This episode fits into the context of the show because it stays true to the tone and nature of the show. It also shows these characters dealing with situations that would make the most of their personalities.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What TV show do you watch over and over again?
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Friends, Parks and Recreation and Family Guy.
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I worked on this screenplay for about two months, taking minor breaks during that period.
6. How many stories have you written?
I have written two stories including this one. The other is a feature screenplay. I am currently working on a second feature screenplay.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I love comedy as a genre for TV more than any other and I love this show in particular. I had been studying screenwriting for awhile and wanted to test my skills. Since this was a show I loved and watched religiously, I decided to start by writing a spec for it. I also felt that I understood the characters more than I did for any other show. This helped a lot.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Coming up with the different storylines was a bit of an obstacle at first. Making sure the character voices were accurate was another obstacle.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Apart from writing, I am passionate about Mathematics. Maybe one day I’ll create a show about Maths.
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was searching for festivals to which I could present my work. I had no idea that my script would even be good enough. I just wanted to hear some feedback. When I got the feedback, I was extremely happy because it was very detailed and helped me improve my work and of course, I was accepted into the festival.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
If you are just beginning to write, I would suggest you find a genre you are truly passionate about. Study the shows or movies that you love in that genre. Focus on the types of characters within that universe and how you can use them to help create your own. Don’t give up. It’s a long journey but it’s certainly one worth taking.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson